Hello my lovelies, it’s been a few weeks and I’m hoping you all enjoyed the holiday season and are still enjoying winter in general. I myself have been enjoying the break from school; I’ve been having some productive days and some lazy days, which has been pretty nice. I am in the process of actually setting up my Etsy shop, so while I know I said probably a few months ago that it was going to hopefully be up soon, school just took up way more time than I anticipated and it just didn’t happen. However, it looks like that is finally coming to fruition, which I don’t say lightly either because I don’t want to keep saying it’s going to happen an then have to come back and be all “just kidding guys”. In the mean time, I’ve also been doing some projects on the side, lots of drawing, lots of reading, and some crafty stuff too. My most recent project is one I just finished this afternoon, which I’m pretty jazzed about. I pulled out the sewing machine the other day to do some repairs on stuff that I’d been meaning to do for ages and then all of a sudden remembered a black zip-up that was in my closet that had been laying around for a while. I had gotten it with the intention of a very different project than what it actually became, but for some reason I never actually did anything. Instead, I was struck by inspiration and after a Saturday afternoon, a couple of hours today, some cutting, sewing, ribbon, and left over faux fur from Andrea’s Halloween costume (she was Ygritte from Game of Thrones, it was awesome), I now have a cute cropped hoodie.
I simply cut out the zipper, cut off the bottom half of the sweatshirt (there’s lots of trying on involved in this process for anyone thinking of trying something like it, you’ve just got to try it on, pin it, try it on, etc. because once you cut off half the shirt, it won’t be the same again). Then I hemmed it and then sewed a wider hem at the bottom to slide the ribbon through. I left the edges where the zipper had been attached raw because they weren’t messy or anything and I like the way it looks, so I went with it. For the hood I then just measured the existing hood, drew up a pattern, and cut the faux fur. I attached it with a bit of a roll-over on the outer edge so the fur was more prominent, and then sewed the bottom to where the existing hood attached. It’s a bit tricky to explain I guess, but with this kind of thing, I think it’s just trial and error basically. Very careful trial and error so you don’t make a permanent mistake. Pinning is also your best friend. I would suggest pinning everything to see how it looks both before and after cutting.
I’m super pleased with it though and it’s totally doable for anyone as long as you have a basic knowledge of how a sewing machine works and which end of a pair of scissors to cut with, so go forth and DIY your clothes! Just for the record though, this was a pretty cheap hoodie, I wouldn’t advise cutting up anything that cost you a lot or that you’re super attached to unless you’re really confident in your skills. Better safe than sorry. One last piece of advice – don’t settle for “good enough” just because it might make you life easier at the moment. If you’ve got a seam or something that’s a bit crooked and that bothers you a little, don’t just say it’s good enough and leave it as is. If you’re doing clothes, you want something that you’ll actually wear, so it’s worth taking the time to do it right, even if that means taking something out to do over. Anyhow, that’s my little life lesson for the day and hopefully I’ll be posting again soon to announce the opening of my Etsy shop! (Fingers crossed)